Weekly wrap up…
1. Shiny New Book! I signed a contract yesterday for a short novella due out sometime this summer called “What There Is.” I’ll update the Upcoming page accordingly sometime this weekend, but sneaky sneak preview: The story is about an ex-professional baseball player who can’t play anymore due to injury. He moves into an apartment with a nerdy, socially awkward roommate. There are hijinks.
2. The Rainbow Book Fair is next Saturday in NYC. I’ll be there with a bunch of other m/m writers. Stop by if you’re in the area!
3. Any RuPaul’s Drag Race fans here? On Saturday, I went to a live show in New York that featured 6 queens from seasons current and past. (Pandora Boxx, Mimi Imfurst, and Carmen Carrera representing the past, Alaska Thunderfuck, Ivy Winters, and Jinkx Monsoon represent the current.) Michelle Visage hosted the event, and each queen did a couple of numbers. Pandora did a bit of stand-up in which somehow she randomly picked me out of the audience to make fun of, and that was a little surreal. And I have to say, I am now totally Team Jinkx this season; she really blew me away at the live show. (She did three numbers: first, she came out as Little Edie and sang (sang, not lip-synced!) “I Dreamed a Dream” from Les Mis; then she sang “A Little Priest” from Sweeney Todd but changed the words to be about gay archetypes—”Try a little twink” etc.—and tossed cupcakes at the audience; and she wrapped up by singing a duet of the title song from Cabaret with Alaska.) The show was super fun, the audience was really lively, and I had a blast. Although, we had standing tickets, and this was how I learned that I am too old to go to concerts where I have to stand for 3 hours.
4. Speaking of RuPaul, this song came up on shuffle on my iPod this morning, and so it is the official song of the day:
5. Baseball season started Monday!!!!!!